Search This Blog

Note to Readers

The majority of the text on this blog is written by Hikaru, a ball jointed doll. Try not to question it. The text written in pink font is commentary from Hikaru's human friend, Anna. Basically Hikaru does most of the writing and Anna keeps her from getting too out of hand.

Featured Post

Early Christmas Presents

Monday, February 1, 2016

Doll Owner’s Corner: The Face Up

First of the month, time for another Doll Owner’s Corner.  The time where I, the doll owner, can talk about anything at all without Hikaru butting in.

This month’s topic:  Face ups.

What is a face up?  It is essentially all the paint and such on a doll’s face. 

Discussing BJD Face Ups

If you look closely, you can see that Hikaru does not have anything painted or drawn on her face.  I bought her blank, or without a face up.  This is common with ball jointed dolls, you buy them blank or with the company default face up.  I chose blank.

Mystic Kids Evelyn Ball Jointed Doll

This is what her company face up would have looked liked.  You can see more here.

So the question is why is it that despite the fact that I have had Hikaru for about seven months she is still blank?

The two options available are either paying someone else to paint on her or doing it myself.  Let’s deal with that first option. 

There are only two people I know of who do commissions for face ups for bjds whom I would trust with my beloved Hikaru.  Both of them are out of state which means having to pack up my doll’s head and ship it to them hoping it makes it there and back unharmed.  This makes me nervous.

The second option is doing it myself.  I have actually already bought the materials I would need to do it myself.  Basic drawing supplies like watercolor pencils, non-oil soft pastels, brushes, etc., and of course a good sealant.  It’s that last thing that’s the problem.  That stuff is hazardous.  I still need to buy a respirator to use it safely and even then, it makes me nervous.

Both options make me nervous enough to put it off, though surprisingly the idea of shipping her head seems worse for me so the diy option may be the one I will eventually go with.  Which leads to the other problem.  How do I want Hikaru to look?  Also how do I get her to look like that?

Both these questions can only be answered through research and practice, both of which take more time.  Hence why so many months have and probably will continue to pass before Hikaru will finally get her face done.

In the meantime, I get to enjoy doing all that “research” via face up videos.  Here are a few I’ve been studying:
Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I love dolls too and Those are such pretty ones. I can't believe anyone has a steady enough hand to paint such delicate faces, its amazing isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing, and I so want my doll's face to come out as well.

      Delete

Pleasant comments are always welcome and appreciated.

But please, no anti-doll comments. They are unnecessary and a bit rude. We understand that some people find dolls creepy or weird, but this is a "doll blog" that is intended for those who enjoy dolls. If you dislike dolls that much, don't waste your time reading doll blogs.